New York City? And theft question.

  • Subject: [cg] New York City? And theft question.
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:43:29 -0700 (PDT)

Heh heh,

'New York City?' as the cowpoke says in the salsa ad.

Trouble is, Adam's right again, The City has
everything, somewhere. I'm not sure if you want those
NASCAR races up there, though. We live about 10 miles
from the Lowes Motor Speedway, and can hear the cars
when they are racing. Still, if they go to NYC, how
long can it be before they have souped up Yellow Cabs
racing? Might make a nice addition.

Anyway, Jim, tell me more about Casa. Are you folks
more an urban farm? Sounds like you are producing on a
large scale, and have pretty good stable land tenure.
That's great.

On a smaller scale, cukes are heavy, but do pretty
well on simple hoop trellises of 4"x4" welded wire
fence. I'm seeing folks using a velcro tie which looks
pretty (on those cool 'RNA' metal poles that curl like
a pigs tail). If they hold up through the season,
might be nice for home and small scale/pretty.

Meanwhile, got a problem at Robbins Park garden.

We're just starting to get theft. Small stuff -
watering wands, gazing balls and other garden
decorations, that kind of thing. No tools or hoses
taken - yet. We are partly fenced (a company has
offered to make us a nice 'real' fence, but there's
not a clear time frame), the site is on a busy road in
a farmer's field, surrounded by development but with
no residence close.

Anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas about
who the culprits might be, given the pattern of theft?
If we don't fence, what can we do? If we do get a
fence, any recommendation on type? Key protocols?

Thanks,

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC