RE: New York City? And theft question.

  • Subject: RE: [cg] New York City? And theft question.
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:58:40 -0500

Don,
The CASA Community garden is .4 acre in size.  Our overall garden footprint
is probably
about 1.5 acre.  We produced nearly 12K last year.  Earlier this year, I
projected a 16K to 20K
yield (very optimistic) but we still have some problem areas within the
garden so this
may not come to fruition.

As far as theft, I "locked down" our picnic and work tables.  Recently, at
our pavilion
dedication, our Mayor called me aside and told me that the city had 11
picnic tables stolen
out of our parks and advised me to secure our tables.  Our 4 tables were
about $1700.
so we wanted to make sure they wouldn't walk off during the night. As far as
insurance, this is the best
way to cover yourself from theft.  See at...
http://www.casagarden.com/tables.html  I've tried
to cut a cable like the ones pictured with bolt cutters and its nearly
impossible because its a mesh
type construction. The U shaped lock has been used by bicycle riders for
years.  Tough stuff.  Most
folks wouldn't bother cutting though a 12" inch support beam.

A fence is your best protection.  We have a 6' high fence surrounding our
garden.
We are located in an urban environment surrounde generally by low to middle
income apartments and homes.  We are
next to our city's botanical garden (lots of money here) and 1/2 mile from
Alabama's most popular
tourist attraction.. U.S Space and Rocket Center.  See at..
http://www.spacecamp.com/camponline/request?type=article&view=ind&id=mu_inde

From our community garden, you can see a standing model of a Saturn V
rocket.  The was the rocket that put
man on the moon (developed in Huntsville).

I hope to do a special page about this garden's history and my involvement
sometime soon. For those who
think they had hard times developing their community garden, you may find
this interesting reading.

Hope this helps, Jim in Alabama