Re: Theft 101

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Theft 101
  • From: "Diana Yuen" <imoux1@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:09:03 -0700

Hi all,

I've been a member of a moderate sized community garden in Seattle for a little over a year now. My garden faces a busy arterial, both in pedestrian and vehicle traffic. This side is fenced off with a 8-foot (?) tall chain-link fence. The garden is accessible by entering the property of the community center on which the garden resides. The remaining perimeter is surrounded by a shorter, more decorative wooden fencing.

We and many of the other gardens in the P-Patch program have experienced some degree of theft. I can only attest to theft I have experienced or heard of personally. I've had a number of random items stolen - a 20 lb squash, a wooden board, and some fancy metal stakes - this is surprisingly minimal considering how much traffic travels through this area. Others at my garden have also had stakes, decorative nicknacks, and food items stolen on occasion.

Generally, it seems that theft occurs b/c there's an opportunity - someone is walking by, sees something they want and takes it. I don't think it's rampant enough to say that there are theives who come by regularly. It's also hard to say why it is that people take what they take, and hence find ways to combat it.

Some of the ways we have attempted to curb theft and vandalism have been to post signs and keep community tools in locked sheds. Gardeners are encouraged not to place anything of value in their plots and to arrange pathways such that it's difficult to enter a plot. Additionally, I like to grow theft-prone plants behind less desirable or recognizable plants so that they are obscured from view, and grow less recognizable varieties of common vegetables.

It's always disappointing to find that something has been stolen. I hope you find a way to tackle the theft your garden has been experiencing!