RE: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1834 - 4 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] RE: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1834 - 4 msgs
  • From: "Sandy Swegel" <swegel@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:23:42 -0600

>Is there a worm that is a good compost worm and also useful as fishing bait?

The worms that naturally appear when I add kitchen wastes to a part of the garden would do just fine.  Especially when they're nice and big and fat.  However, pity the poor fisherman who tries to steal one of my beloved worms and stick a nasty hook through it.

Sandy

PS I do a rotating vermicomposting on my plot. I garden by the square foot method and as I rotate the squares, I designate one for vermicomposting and put lost of green wastes a few inches down. I water this square with all the others.  In a very rapid time the worms have digested most everything and I put new goodies for them in the next square.  Sort of a lazy person's fertilizing. The worms usually quickly migrate to the new square and I plant the last square. Since the worms are in the regular garden, there's no worry about heat and cold during the gardening season.

And related to this, does anyone do vermicomposting on their plots? And if

Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events. ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden