RE: advice needed on mulch for paths

  • Subject: RE: [cg] advice needed on mulch for paths
  • From: "Fred Conrad" fred.conrad@acfb.org
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:12:31 -0400

Jude,

it's raining here, too.  which is nice for us since we've been in a dry spell since early march.  my sweet corn tassled at 4' and the rows of okra looked like cheap holloween decor.

in some cases mowing the paths can be the easiest way to maintain them.  of course, i don't know how heavy the foot/wheelbarrow traffic is, so that could well leave muddy spots.  we have a garden here that mulched and mulched until the mulch reached the top of the wood-framed beds and then we excavated it, composted it, and just allowed the (in this case roughly 3 foot) pathways to grass over by themselves.  this has been about five years and it's been much easier to maintain.  if you need it to look nice for a visit or photo opp, it only takes one person a few minutes to make the whole thing look neat and tidy.
fgc

Fred Conrad
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
732 Joseph E Lowery Blvd, NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
ph: 678.553.5932 fx: 678.553.5933
fred.conrad@acfb.org    <http://www.acfb.org>
Our mission is to fight hunger by engaging, educating and empowering our community.