advice needed on garden path mulch

  • Subject: [cg] advice needed on garden path mulch
  • From: John King ecobotanist@volcano.net
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:30:51 -0700

I am not entirely familiar with your available resources; but, what I recall of the region is much like here in the Sierra Nevada of California: lots of granite. I suggest crushed rock, decomposed granite or limestone [the latter may not work due to you rains]. These materials can be watered and rolled in; that is, use a lawn roller. They will form a permanent path that is weed resistant, easy to maintain, creates a barrier between garden plots, comfortable to walk on and is wheelchair accessible. I have used decomposed granite here on many nature trails. I can get it for free from the US Bureau of Land Management. It just requires a reliable truck or two and some volunteers with shovels and strong backs. Mulch may look nice; but, it can create problems. We do not need that one. Mulch the garden plots; rock the paths.