[cg] Fw: Executive Director position open

----------

>After much thought, MAGIC is going ahead and seeking a full time
> executive director to lead magic to the next level of sustainability in
> terms of gardens and funding.  We have done very well in the last few
> years, with a budget at about $140,000 for 2 full time and about 4 part
> time staff.  I, Roberta, will be serving as a Program Director once an
executive director is hired.  We are
> very excited about the expansion and finding someone with much more
> expertise than myself in raising and managing funds.
>
> Please post this to the Board of ACGA and ask them to let others know
about
> this.  I will also post it on the ACGA list serve as well as some other
> avenues.  Thanks so much for your help!!!!  Hope to see you in
Philadelphia!

> Here is the job announcement that MAGIC is posting - the short version
is:

>  MAGIC Community Garens, dedicated to gardening education with emphasis on
> children and low-income populations, is expanding its staff.  Seeks
> experienced leader for full time position.  Requires skills in planning,
> fund raising, financial management, personnel, public relations,
computers,
> written/verbal communication.  Flexible, collaborative work environment in
> the very hip and progressive mountains of Asheville North Carolina.
Salary
> upper 20's to low 30's, holidays, vacation.  Send resume and letter
> postmarked by June 30 to Search Committee, MAGIC, PO Box 168, Asheville,
NC
> 28802
>

> JOB ANNOUNCEMENT - Executive Director
> MAGIC Community Gardens, Asheville, NC
>

> General Information:  MAGIC (Mountain Area Gardeners in Communities) is a
> nonprofit, tax exempt membership-based organization dedicated to
> individual, community and environmental health and well being through
> gardening and education..  These programs combine food production,
> community development beautification, environmental education and active
> recreation. MAGIC achieves these goals by teaching ecological gardening
> practices, developing school, community and horticultural therapy gardens
> and addressing community gardening issues.  MAGIC is located in
Asheville, NC in the mountains of Western North Carolina.  It is a
beautiful area with much hiking, water sports, gardens, etc.  It is a
fairly progressive and growing community with a city population of over
80,000 people and county wide about 170,000.

> Summary Job Description: Administer and build a strong, independent,
> community gardening organization that serves primarily Asheville and
> Buncombe County with outreach into surrounding counties.  The Executive
> Director (ED) is responsible for long term and strategic planning, a
> comprehensive fund raising campaign, financial and administrative
> management, public relations and works closely with MAGICís Board of
> Directors and specified committees. The ED will work closely with the
> Program Director (PD) in personnel management and to plan, implement,
> monitor and evaluate ambitious, logical and fundable programs.  The
> Executive Director reports to a committee of the Board of Directors.
>
> Major Elements:
>
> 1. Address long term planning for sustainability: With the staff, board
and
> other key players, address the potential to bring MAGIC to the next level
> of community involvement through long term planning, long range funding
> development,
> program focus and result-oriented projects.
> 2. New donor identification/cultivation and donor management:
> Identify/maintain relationships with individuals with
> giving potential ($500- $5000) to MAGIC. Conduct research about
> individuals' interests, potential contacts, giving history
> and potential; write proposals to individuals for funding or asking
> directly. Send annual renewal letters and
> correspondence to gain support for specific projects; identify donor
> benefits and provide timely acknowledgment
> of gift; engage in a periodic, personal dialogue with select major donors
> 3. Foundation and corporate support: Set total corporate and foundation
> sponsorship goals, identify potential foundation
>  and corporate support through research, key contacts and  proposals.
> 4. Financial management:  oversee financial management including
developing
> and managing overall and project budgets to actuals, oversee accounting,
> payroll and related legal financial documents.
> 4. Special Events: Conduct high-profile, high return events (garden tours,
> other events).  Make greatest use of Board
> members/other volunteers, identifying kindred volunteer groups(garden
> clubs); design special events for special dollars.
>  5. Public Relations:  Work closely with PD and Youth Education
Coordinator