Eagle Heights

Eagle Heights Community Gardens (Madison, Wisconsin) needs your help
piecing together the 38-year history of our gardens, and relating it to the
broader picture nationwide.

Do you know that there are about 10,000 known community gardens in the U.S.?
Do you know that EHCG is reputed to be the oldest continuously-running
community garden in the U.S.?
Do you know that EHCG has the largest membership of any single community
garden that we know of? (~1000 gardeners each season)
Do you know what happened in the gardens during the Woodstock Festival  (We
don't, but we think it must have been far out).

A University of Wisconsin-Madison journalism graduate student, Krishna
Ramanujan, has begun an investigative report on the history of the Eagle
Heights Community Gardens, which he hopes to publish  locally, nationally,
and perhaps internationally.  If you have any stories, correspondence,
photos, or other pieces of EHCG history, or if you were a part of the Eagle
Heights gardens "way back when...", please contact Krishna Ramanujan at
phone) 608-233-0296, email) kramanujan@students.wisc.edu.

With the information that we find, we intend to develop a photographic
presentation of this history, which we can then present to all of you, our
members and friends.  We believe that by uncovering the history of this
remarkable place which has changed and shaped so many lives, we will find
that our community of support extends far beyond the Madison area.  One of
our goals is to become a self-sustaining organization, capable of executing
meaningful outreach and education programs.  To get to this point, we will
need the support of not only our members, but also our alumni, and the
wider community.  Finally, we hope that this article will aid our efforts
as we seek to ensure our continued existence on the land we cultivate.
Thanks for the help.

Krishna Ramanujan, EHCG Gardener, and Editor
Scout Report for Science and Engineering
Email: kraman@cs.wisc.edu