Looking for Help

My daughter-in-law, who is active in Philadelphia Green, sent me your address since I am interested in getting information in reference to starting a community garden.
I live in a senior development near Toms River, NJ. A request was made to the developer to set aside land for a community garden; he has been lukewarm to this idea. The Property Manager on site has shown some interest but has told me that there are problems with such a venture, based on a few calls to local developments that already have such a garden. The problems are related to the abandonment of plots when residents leave or sell their house; the plot becomes an eyesore.
 I don't believe this is a serious problem and can be taken care of. However I would like some information on the management of these kind of gardens to try to sell this idea to the developer.
Do you have anything that can help us set up a community garden or can you refer me to some other source? Do you know of any developments that have successfully integrated a community garden into their operation?
Any suggestions/help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Robert Ackelsberg
7 Xavier Court
Lakehurst, NJ 08733