RE: abandonment of plots

Mariah:

The Clinton Community Garden has a process for dealing with the issue of
abandonment/non-gardening:

1) Every year before the annual meeting every back gardener ( i.e,  gardener
with an individual plot for their own personal use) is mailed a plot renewal
form to confirm that they will be gardening during the coming season, try to
shake them down for a contribution to the garden's general fund and to
confirm that they still live within the garden's cachement area. The idea is
that folks should be living close enough to the garden to water, weed,
etc...
Please check out out back gardener's rules on our website
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org which explains our policy for
individual garden plots.

2) We are governed by an elected steering committee which appoints a back
garden plot committee to enforce the rules ( AKA  The Jackbooted Thugs).

The thugs ( oops! the plot subcommittee) do a weekly "plot walk-through"
with a checklist of all plots. We work on a three warning system and ground
must be broken by tax day ( April 15) for each year's gardening. We can and
do reassign the plots of non-gardeners to folks who actually garden.
Obviously, if there are family emergencies we ask gardeners to have
neighbors help with watering, weeding, etc.

Good luck, contact me if you need more information.

Adam