abandonment of plots

I am the coordinator of a community garden in Syracuse, New York
We have numerous gardeners who are adamant about coming back to "their plot" at
the garden each year. Then they show up once or twice a season - (or the very
minimum when I insist they show up) but in general they abandon their plot.
Later in the season I have gardeners who want to do something about the weeds or
who want the "abandon space" to garden in -  and I never have any luck getting
hold of these people who neglect  their gardens.
(I have had gardeners tell me they want a 'natural look'  when all anyone else
sees are propagating weeds.)
What do others do in these situations?

Mariah Dillon
Morningside Community Garden