Tate Modern Project in London

Andrew, the network in England is the Federation of City Farms and Community
Gardens: The Green House; Hereford Street; Bedminster; Bristol BS3 4NA; Tel
0117 923 1800. There is also the Black Environment Network on 01286 870 715.

And while I'm on; we are working with the new Tate Modern in South London on
a 'Community Resource Space' which may well become a community garden, but
will of course have a big art angle. The land is Tate owned. In this area we
have a thriving Open Spaces Programme which gives grants for gardening
proects & is improving 9 open spaces, parks and gardens. This project is
very community focused. We will set up as a Trust & will hire community
gardeners & organise festivals etc. This Trust may be the way in which the
Tate site is managed. However, does anyone have experience of working with a
museum in this way or of sites which manage to effectively combine community
need & a high profile gallery. 3 million tourists per year expected to the
New Tate & this space (which will be walled & locked at night) is intended
for the local community. Is this possible!? We are setting up an
intergenerational consultation project to gather pictures & representations
of good & bad gardens (both photos and paintings etc) & will hold a
visioning event later this year with a kind of gallery of garden pictures
for inspiration. All ideas on high art/gardens gratefully received. Vicky