Re: Carpets in gardens

In a message, one of the posting individuals asked a question about the
advisability of carpets used in garden paths:

We have used carpets in our community garden for years and I have observed
the following:

    1. they provide protection and harborage for rodents and insects,
particularly            when stored over the nongardening season as well as
during the gar. season.
    2. if they are dark in color, they can be used to warm the soil in the
      3. disposal  after use is a problem
    4. they help to preserve moisture
    5. they are good at surpressing weeds
    6. they are not natural looking
    7. they may produce unwanted chemicals and unnatural chemicals by leaching
        sizing, cleaners, and dyes into the soil
    8. once they are allowed into the garden, their later exclusion can
produce a
        public relations problem.

Elmer Morehouse
Garden Supervisor-Southfield Senior Citizen's gardens-110   400 sq. ft plots