RE: Tate Modern project

Vicky:

It sounds as if the Tate wants to get a garden and gardeners on the cheap (
i.e. give a few master community gardeners the opportunity to create a
garden with the sweat of their brows and artistic vision without
compensation.) It might work. There are altruistic suckers out there....like
me.

My wife and I are  members of the Metropolitan Museum of Art ( used to
belong to MOMA until they scandalously started permitting flash photography
in their painting galleries!)

We  would probably get a kick out of doing serious plantings on the Met's
roof sculpture garden if the museum would:  1)  supply the dough for
supplies ; 2) buy lunch for the participants; 3) treat the volunteer
participants with respect and not like a bunch of peasants; 3) Give an tax
write-off for the participants for their gift of time and effort to the
museum (just  like the old lady who had the museum kiss her up  for  a
bequest of a Monet.)

Point three would be hard to do with all the fundraising folks who spend a
fortune on gala dinners and the like to coax the rich here to do the right
thing ( we call the special deals for high rollers at the Museum " Club
Met".)  They like to deal with professionals and work like they're in a
hotel or conventions setting. I don't know if this is the same in England,
but as your government cuts its' art subsidies, it'll be inevitable.

Great luck!

Adam