RE: Protecting urban community gardens from vandalism

Justin:

Please check out my garden's website: http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org
where there are details of our key policy/agreements. We are a gated garden
with 2000 key holders. Our 7 foot tall wrought iron fence is fairly hard to
climb and has a concrete base which abuts the sidewalk. Our former hurricane
fence was easy to break into, dig under, climb over with cowboy
boots/sneakers. The community garden was created by Hell's Kitchen residents
who desperately wanted it on a then drug and crime infested block. As they
had to fight drug dealers, junkies, pimps and whores everyday anyway it was
a continuation of our modus viviendi to fight them over our garden.

 Neighbors who lived adjacent to the garden appreciated what we did to a
rubble filled lot and started calling the cops. The neighbors kept dropping
dimes on the drug dealing, the pimping ( we had some pimp mobiles towed,
some unidentified person slashed tires threw water balloons filled with dye
in the open convertables, marched through the streets with candles chanting,
" Don't sell your poison here.', etc.) We even got the telephone numbers of
the John's ( whore's clients) from their license plate numbers and called
their places of work and wives. The word got around.

We have a nearby playground/park where we still have drug dealing and the
garden has two mental health halfway house facilities  on it's block. We
just have zero tolerance for vandalism, a budget for painting over grafitti
and a couple of baseball bats in the tool shed in addition to the pitchforks
and the chipper/shredder.

The idea is that the garden is a safe haven for the neighborhood and that
the neighborhood has to want to protect it and care for it. Community
gardening is not a passive activity, it's 50% gardening and 100% politics
and community activism.

Good luck!

Adam