Greenspace Crime Security Issues

I am looking for information regarding the security of greenspaces (urban gardens, forests, etc) that are located in high crime areas.  I am doing some research for Wayne State University (Detroit MI)-Center for Urban Labor and Metropolitan Affairs.  My thesis is for the reforestation of blighted commercial strips in certain areas of the city that have seen great disinvestment over the last three decades.
The criticism is that the areas will attract crime or will be unsafe in comparison to other blighted areas with dilapidated, abandonded buildings, or vacant property.  Do you have any information that would be helpful to defend my case.  Other case studies would be ideal, but not necessary.
Thanks for your help with this...
Gerard Santoro
(248) 553-0290