RE: need info on starting community garden

Don & Cheryl:

Boy do you have your work out out for you!

Please feel free to use the Clinton Community Garden's rules and governance
guidelines from our website http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org. The Eagle
Heights community garden has a worderful website:
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/ .
Check out the links on the American Commmunity Gardening Association
website: http://www.communitygarden.org/index.html ; the Trust for Public
Land website: http://igc.apc.org/tpl . This webserve has some intereresting
discussions in it's archives : http://www.community_garden@mallorn.com
dealing with governance, seniors, vandalism , garden layout, pesticides and
the like.

1.Before you break ground please have the soil tested for pollutants and
heavy metals like lead which can be deadly to young children. your local ag
extension, University has the facilities. Do it. Lead poisoning can cause
mental retardation in young children.

2. Meet, use the rules that you get off the web and create your own
governing agreement which every gardener understands and signs. Make
gardening privileges revocable.

3. Learn what marajuana plants look like. Seeds sometimes " blow over the
fence."

4. Get a fence put up pronto! Get a good padlock and keys to all gardeners.
No agreement signed, no keys.

5. Publicize what you're doing with all neighborhood residents. Make them
fans. Help them to understand that the garden is not a dog run, a place for
the dumping of garbage, a venue for the sale of anything.

6. Be inclusive. The Clinton Garden has it's guidelines posted in 3
languages. Be culturally sensitive to your area.

Good luck!

Adam