Re: Raised beds

Kellie,

Where in NY are you? I'm in Rochester, and I'm looking for a community
garden to be a part of this year as I'm currently living in a townhouse with
no actual garden and my lease is up in July, so I can't even do too much
container gardening, as I'll have to move it all.

I built a square-foot terraced, raised-bed garden when I lived in Western
North Carolina. I used cinder/concrete blocks to make the beds. The beds
were around 4' by 4', and since my site was on a slope, they were 2-3 blocks
high in the front, 1 in the back.

"Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew goes into not only the
square-foot method, but also how to build raised beds, wheel-chair accesible
beds, and vertical trellising.

Some people like to use old railroad ties, but I understand there is some
concern with leaching arsenic and other chemicals into the soil. My first
set of raised beds were built with logs and stone, but those tended to be a
bit uneven, so I replaced them with concrete block.

Silandara
--
www.silandara.com
ICQ # 7522111