gardening with children in bereavement

This is an update on my last post about children in bereavement, in answer
to Ariel Bleth's post.

The Spiral Garden's website is

It is much more than a gardening project as the 8 minute slide show/video on
the site explains. Through story & myth creation, the children are helped
out of their situation into another reality. The setting is a garden.  Hard
to explain --the slideshow does a bit better job than I can but there's so
much more to it than that.

The first garden, the Sprial Garden, has spawned 2 more--the Cosmic
Birdfeeder (Toronto) and the The Butterfly Garden of Batiacoloa, Sri Lanka.

Paul Hogan, the artist and originating spirit behind all 3, is in Sri Lanka
now,  working with children who are physical and emotional  victims of the
civil war. The children in Toronto are disabled and able-bodied both. Jan
McKie keeps all 3 gardens going. She is visiting Paul right now but will be
back in May, I think--just in time to get the Toronto gardens started again.
I will relay Ariel's message when she returns.  I am involved only
periferally, having designed the site for Paul back in 1983 and having been
friends with Paul & Jan since 1978.

I'd love to hear about more projects dealing with this subject--doesn't just
have to be with children. Anyone else out there?

Laura Berman
FoodShare Toronto
T:(416) 392-1668
F: (416) 392-6650