RE: CG composting

     In addition to Adam's suggestions, you might try encouraging
gardeners to add some finished compost or garden soil between each
nitrogenous/carboniferous layering.  It also helps to wet each layer as it
goes in.  In an infrequently turned heap a somewhat water-resistant shell
may develop as the outside of the heap drys, making it difficult to
achieve desired moisture content on the inside.

H. Michael Simmons, Ph,D.
Community Gardening Program
Bloomington Parks and Recreation
(812) 349-3737 FAX: (812) 349-3705