3 questions on consensus/ftru/new address

  • Subject: [cg] 3 questions on consensus/ftru/new address
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:26:46 EST

Hello, CGers,

I have 3 questions for you:

Can anyone recommend a short clear explanation of consensus-based decision
making in meetings, ideally one accessible on-line? I badly need guidelines
that offer a practical alternative to 'Robert's Rules' in community meetings.

I'd like to find a way to bring ACGA's FTRU program to Charlotte. Does the
program work with programs that are starting small (in this case, a Friend's
Meeting that is interested in a community garden beside their meeting house)
- understanding that the idea will be to keep growing, so to speak? Where
does a community start looking for grant $$$, and how much does the
assistance/consulting of FTRU cost a community/CG group?

Last, sorry about a lame technical question that I should know, but this
month I'm finally aleavin' AOL. How do I resubscribe to my new email address?

My little lettuces are just poking their heads up under the remay, but no
sign of the snowpeas yet. Ah, life in the sunny south - they will be coming
along soon.

btw, are CGers aware of the risks of persistent herbicides in municipal
composts? Although hopefully this problem won't affect most minicipal
composts, it potentially could. Problems stem from 2 herbicides from Dow
Chemical, clopyralid (in 'Confront!') and picloram, which do not break down
in the composting process. They also pass straight through the gut of
animals, and can show up in horse and cow manure. They are toxic to beans,
tomatoes and other crops at very low levels - asparagus is affected at a few
parts per _billion_. Problems have been reported in Washington State,
Pennsylvania and New Zealand.  See <A
HREF="www.jgpress.com/BCArticles/2001/070125.html">Biocycle article on
herbicide in compost</A>.

Don Boekelheide