RE: Warren Wilson College CG!!!

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Warren Wilson College CG!!!
  • From: Tom Tyler <ttyler@vt.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:41:04 -0500

This message reminded me of the wonderful "hoe-down" we
had in a huge building on the WWC campus, back in 1988 when
ACGA had its 9th? annual conference in Asheville, hosted
by MAGIC of course.  It was quite the event and lots of fun...but
I am sounding old, however, not as old as Jack Hale.

Tom

At 11:32 AM 3/6/02 -0500, Honigman, Adam wrote:
>James,
>
>Great news!
>The key is keeping it fun and fair:
>1) Set up your self governance from jump street. Democracy is a lousy form
>of government but it's the best we have. Grow democracy with your garden.
>
>2) Assemble your tools before hand and make sure they will be enough. Plan
>to take regular breaks and mix the depressives with the cheerful ones in
>your work party. Don't ask me why, but it works.
>
>3) Agree on tasks to be done and make sure that everyone has the chance to
>engage in the lower-back testing dirty work. All Indians, (sorry, I meant
>Native Americans) no chiefs.
>
>4) Lots of parties to celebrate hard volunteer work ( pizza & beer)
>
>5) Open the garden up to faculty and family. If you have some middle-aged to
>seniors in the group, even better. You may want to construct some beds for
>folks in wheelchairs as well ( this is known as enabled gardening.) Have one
>ready, for a senior or a young man back from service in Afghanistan.
>Community gardening is for everyone.
>
>Best wishes,
>Adam Honigman
>Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden
>http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Tom Tyler
Extension Agent - Environmental Horticulture
Unit Coordinator
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Arlington County
3308 S. Stafford St.
Arlington, VA 22206

703-228-6423 (P)
703-228-6407 (F)
E-Mail: ttyler@vt.edu
<http://offices.ext.vt.edu/arlington>

President, Ex-Officio, American Community Gardening Association:
<http://www.communitygarden.org>