RE: Warren Wilson College CG!!!

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Warren Wilson College CG!!!
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:32:29 -0500

James,

Great news!
The key is keeping it fun and fair:
1) Set up your self governance from jump street. Democracy is a lousy form
of government but it's the best we have. Grow democracy with your garden.

2) Assemble your tools before hand and make sure they will be enough. Plan
to take regular breaks and mix the depressives with the cheerful ones in
your work party. Don't ask me why, but it works.

3) Agree on tasks to be done and make sure that everyone has the chance to
engage in the lower-back testing dirty work. All Indians, (sorry, I meant
Native Americans) no chiefs.

4) Lots of parties to celebrate hard volunteer work ( pizza & beer)

5) Open the garden up to faculty and family. If you have some middle-aged to
seniors in the group, even better. You may want to construct some beds for
folks in wheelchairs as well ( this is known as enabled gardening.) Have one
ready, for a senior or a young man back from service in Afghanistan.
Community gardening is for everyone.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden