Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea

  • Subject: [cg] Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea
  • From: Christianstreet@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:21:31 EST

I've been seaching the web but haven't found an answer to this question, so I
thought I'd ask a group likely to have both gardening lore and unconventional

I've been beautifying an urban vacant lot for a couple of years, and am
trying to keep costs to a minimum.

I also own a large dog and wish there were something I could do with the

I know there are good reasons for not using pet waste in compost where the
final product would be used for food-growing, just as I'm told that the solid
waste soil amendment I get from the Water Department should only be used on
ornamentals. But it would surely tickle my sense of thrifty re-use if I could
brew up some doggie manure tea for my peonies. Being car-free, a trip to the
solid waste place takes a lot of planning, whereas the dog produces every day.

Laura Blanchard