Re: Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea

Dog and Cat food contain bone meal and products made from lamb,
poultry, cattle, and pigs.  While the dog food MIGHT decompose
over a period of two years to the point where salmonella,
e-coli and toxoplasmosis aren't an issue anymore, there is
still the question of prions. Prions do not decompose under
high heat, let alone a compost pile.
   If you need manure tea and don't want to use cattle or horse
manure (I don't) then I'd suggest you get a pet rabbit.   We
have two females.  We fenced in a small area of our yard (about
40 feet by 6 feet) for them to run when we are working in the
garden.  They sleep safely in a big rabbit hutch the rest of
the time.   I KNOW what I'm feeding them and feel comfortable
using their manure.

Laura