RE: Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:35:57 -0500

Michele,

Keep asking, but it will be very hard for you to find a responsible
composter who will use cat, dog or pig feces in any garden. Even if it is
for only decorative uses, I would not want any gardener working in that
soil, breathing it, have any pregnant woman ( because of the issue of
toxoplasmosis from cat feces) or child spend any time in that space because
of these issues.

As someone who works very hard to maintain a heavily used organic lawn in a
very heavily used community garden ( open since 1978) I shudder at the the
liability issues that you are courting.

The community garden where I volunteer is the only place for miles around in
midtown Manhattan where it is safe for barefoot children to learn to walk (
no broken glass, animal feces, golf court style chemicals.) I am not
enamoured with wheelbarrowing in horse manure on August days into our
compost pile, but I have done it. As a dog owner, it would be awfully
convenient to empty the contents of my "pooper scooper" into the compost -
but deadly and wrong  if I did.

Sometimes Michele, the accepted wisdom is wise. This is one of those
occasions. No dog, cat or pig waste in your compost, please.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org