Re: Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Pet Waste and Composting / Manure Tea
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:45:16 EST

garlicgrower@earthlink.net writes:

> "Composting" carnivore waste only spreads pathogens.  Get "The Humanure
>  Handbook" if you are really set on doing such a thing -- it's the only
>  reliable source for carnivore waste processing -- it takes space (both
>  vertical and horizontal), time and a *very* accurate thermometer (no cold
>  composting here!)
>
>  Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
>  St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden

Hi, Dorene,

Amen! I agree that the 'Humanure Handbook' is an excellent resource. In terms
of understanding compost and applications to soils, I'd add a couple of web
resources: Elaine Ingham's site <A HREF="www.soilfoodweb.com">Soil Food Web
</A> and the Cornell University composting site <A
HREF="www.cfe.cornell.edu/compost/Composting_homepage.html://">Cornell
Composting</A>, both for good solid (and readable) scientific grounding in
basic principles, and the national Master Composter website <A
HREF="www.mastercomposter.com">Master Composter</A> for lots of links to
local folks doing composting and practical ideas.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC