RE: NYC Canceling recycling - It Gets Worse

  • Subject: RE: [cg] NYC Canceling recycling - It Gets Worse
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:28:19 -0500

Sharon et al,

Sept 11th wiped out large chunks of our tax base. NYC is billions in the
hole. The recycling issue is still on the table in the NYC Council and will
be voted on in the next few weeks.

A couple of days ago we learned that the mayor's proposed cuts for recycling
include the whole citywide composting program for FY 03.  This means total
shutdown of the composting projects at
the botanic gardens as of July 1; serious implications for community
gardens/school gardens/backyard gardeners etc.

Individual community gardens like mine will soldier along with our bins, but
the big deal professional composting that is done with "zoo poo" and
everyone's X-mas trees will be particularly missed. We are bugging our
electeds on this and other issues, but the cuts are going all across the
board.

These proposed cuts will hurt the undomiciled homeless and senior citizens
in particular: the bottle bill will be temporarily discontinued. A homeless
guy can make 25 bucks a 12 day of collecting bottles ( NYS deposit is $.05)
- this income gone we'll have some real serious privation and a potential
rise in crime.

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman