about 'consensus'

  • Subject: [cg] about 'consensus'
  • From: bill ruffin <willci_99@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:09:33 -0800 (PST)

Sorry I'm late responding the the query about  the
Consensus process.

About 20 yrs ago I was a member of a food coop which
used the Consesus process during its mtgs.What I
learned about it at that time was corroborated in
stuff I read years later: The process tends to
surpress the mere expression of differences of
opinion, because people tend not to want to be the
only person who is delaying the acheivement of
consensus! So a sheen of agreement overlayed whatever
disaggreement/misunderstandings that were never
expressed. I was the newcomer, so quickly learned to
silently seem to go along with everything whatever
committee's decision was being voted on. I am still
fuming!

Democratic processes are frequently if not usually
susceptible to a growing corpus of abuse, misuse,
etc.(Fla...)

The most important things I have figured out from
years of ruminating about such ideas is that "Good
faith cannot be achieved by legislation" in the garden
or anywhere else! Of FIRST importance in any problem
solving process is that the group of would-be problem
solvers be "on the same page" from the start; in
realization that they all want to be a part of
resolving the problem(s)in said group.

Enough, I turn my tho'ts back to tropical
horticulture.

Bill R.

=====
C.I.