new comm garden advice

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Yount [mailto:csf@moscow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 6:50 PM
To: klienau@MinistryOfCaring.org
Subject: [klienau@MinistryOfCaring.org: RE: Welcome To

You sent this message to community_garden-admin@mallorn.com.
The address of the list is community_garden@mallorn.com.

----- Forwarded message from Karen Lienau <klienau@MinistryOfCaring.org>

From: Karen Lienau <klienau@MinistryOfCaring.org>
To: "'community_garden-admin@mallorn.com'"
Subject: RE: Welcome To "community_garden"!
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:39:44 -0500

I am just getting started and planned on creating a flower garden in a large
empty lot next to my place of business in a low income area.  After doing
some research I have realized I would like to recruit members of the
community to garden their own plots of land...a true community garden where
people come together.  My first question is am I too late to get this going
this year?  I have volunteers to clean the lot and am putting up flyers
tomorrow in the community for interest.  I am working with the hort. society
here but they can't meet with me until next week.  I am writing up a
solicitation letter for donations to take to Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  I also
have plans to let my local and state officials know about the project and
ask for support.  Any ideas for other things I should be taking care of?
Advice?  I feel a sense of urgency b/c it is already March and I am trying
to do as much research as I can...but I feel like I'm short on time.  Thanks
for any help.  Karen Lienau  Wilmington, DE