raised beds on wet soil

  • Subject: [cg] raised beds on wet soil
  • From: "McKenna, Valarie" <mckval13@evergreen.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:24:05 -0800

Title: raised beds on wet soil

I have started working with a teachers at a local middle school who are laying plans for a raised bed garden.  The ground on which the beds will be placed is typically soggy during the rainy season and there's some concern that the soil in the beds will not drain properly.  Someone has suggested that a layer of fabric and then a layer of gravel be placed in the bottom of the beds before the soil.

My concern is that roots would be too restricted in a 8 to 10 inch layer of soil as the roots will be unable to reach threw to the ground.  Also, I would be concerned that worms and other beneficial critters might not be able to reach the soil in the beds with this barrier.

Any comments or suggestions on this?

Thanks.  Valarie