raised beds layering

  • Subject: [cg] raised beds layering
  • From: "Julie Berbiglia" <garden@scarrittbennett.org>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:26:08 -0600

I have had success using cardboard or thick layers of newspaper as a weed
barrier on the bottom of raised beds instead of using landscaping fabric or
plastic (which botanical gardens are tearing out and wishing they had never
used to begin with). The cardboard/newspaper will decompose and add humus to
the soil. Our newspaper is printed with soy ink so we are not concerned
about contamination that used to be a problem with heavy metal inks.

Julie Berbiglia
Organic Garden Coordinator
Scarritt-Bennett Center
1008 19th Avenue South