liability on school grounds for community gardens?

  • Subject: [cg] liability on school grounds for community gardens?
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds <aedmonds@umich.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:03:39 -0500 (EST)

I'd love advice or experience from people on what sort of liability issues
they've dealt with/bought insurance for/avoided when gardening on school
grounds.  The garden I run is on school grounds but used primarily
with/for community youth and groups not associated with the school. We're
about to come under the auspices of a non-profit-- but one that doesn't
need liability sort of insurance because its other activities are
consultant-based.  That non-profit's director is concerned about where
liability will fall when we're doing things not related to the school
(again, most of the activities and participants aren't connected to the
school)  Any experience or advice with this?

Many thanks!  Amanda

     We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi