RE: liability on school grounds for community gardens?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] liability on school grounds for community gardens?
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:37:37 -0500

Amanda,

Advisory:   this e-mail  does not purport to give legal or insurance advice:
for your own safety it is best to discuss this with the school
administration's risk management people and qualified legal and insurance
professionals. In today's litigious landscape, you should do no less.

Ideas: There are insurance policies that community gardens have which run a
couple of hundred dollars for about 1,000,000 in insurance. The coverage
that we get is purchase through a greening group in NYC called the
Neighborhood Open Space Coalition:

The insurance company is the ACORD corporation & the producer is:

R&F of NY Inc.
P.O. Box 982
One Wall Street Court, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10268-0982

The larger company under whose aegis this insurance is afforded is National
Fire of Hartford. I do not know if they cover claims in your state.

However, specific school issues: You need to talk with the school principal
& the person school administration who deals with liability issues. If, for
example, this garden is an activity that the school could conceivably run
themselves, but your nice non-for-profit is enabling this program by
providing you, tools, soil & plants, the program could conceivably be
covered under their insurance as a kind of shop class. They may ask that you
sign a bond saying that none of you are axe murderers of perverts ( I kid
you not) and make sure that none of the kids are around or use equipment
like a chipper shredder.

Tool safety is a must to make sure that there are no careless mistakes and a
"hold harmless" form signed by parent and guardians could also be a part of
the package.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman