RE: 'self interest asset matrix'

  • Subject: RE: [cg] 'self interest asset matrix'
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:57:56 -0500

Soleil,

Buy yourself a Roladex & a cheap metal file cabinet with hanging pendaflex folders & manila files.

Get the names, addresses, phones, e-mails and emergency numbers of all of your gardeners on your Roladex cards as well as all of your elected officials and "friendlies."

Keep in your cheap metal file cabinet:

A file for each gardener which includes a copy of his/her family's gardener agreement. Before during and after pictures of their garden plots ( including birthday parties.) For governmental/fundraising purposes reporting make a "gardener's questionaire" which should be made out in whatever major languages are in your garden ( for you I'm thinking English and Spanish.) Soft ball questions like: what are you planting this year, have you ever been a part of a community garden before, what do you like, what don't you like, what helps, what doesn't, what would you like the garden to be? You figure out questions you like and collect a new Questionnaire every year when folks renew their plot forms.

This gives you a snapshot every year of the garden, it's demographics, and most importantly gives you quantifiable FIGURES for governmental officials and foundation funders.

Also, go to a nearby college and get some Social Work or Sociology student to help you put this stuff together in report form ( you get them for free - field work is a requirement for their degrees). They get a paper topic, you get office help. One hand washes the other.

Have fun!

Adam Honigman