political info, please pardon my intrusion with this - but the right and left are opposed to Bush's war

  • Subject: [cg] political info, please pardon my intrusion with this - but the right and left are opposed to Bush's war
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 09:17:28 -0500

I know that some are upset about this talk about the war being included on
the gardening page but you must hear it somewhere.  A right of center
acquaintance from Colorado sent a list of articles that are being broadcast
by a short-wave broadcaster, Alex Jones, who is a successor to the late Bill
Cooper, of Y2K fame for those who heard of him in the mainstream media.
Here is the URL of the "Interview with Greg Palast:"   Feb. 25th, 2003
http://www.prisonplanet.com/jones_report_030103_palast.html

My point is that you should invite the guy with the attitude bumper stickers
that say something that you may find repulsive, like, "I am a gunowner and I
vote", to your garden plot.  He is finding that increasingly he says things
that sound Naderish and Greenpeacish.  GM foods are not liked and heritage
seeds are purchased by 'militia' types who don't like the dude that they
elected to the whitehouse...  I spoke with a volunteer to our county master
gardener's program who is a retired, due to medical reasons, military lady!
Surprised me is that she is really against this war.  It only came up
because I mentioned the training of the Afghanistan pair mentioned on this
list.  It interested her that someone realized that bombs will not change
attitudes.

Keep talking about the politics of gardening, and we will make the soil
covered part of the planet green again.  Water is needed in the Middle East
and I can not understand who trades money for oil instead of water
conversion equipment for oil.  The surplus water converters for the military
are brought home at great cost and destroyed in junkyards rather than sold
to Yemen and the likes.

How do I know... well, we tried to buy one for a friend in Arizona at a
place in Penna. that contracts with the military to destroy the returned
goods from shut down bases around the world.  The law wouldn't allow salt
water converters to be sold but biologicals that kill could be sold to
Iraq????  Desalinated water is essential to the production of food in desert
areas.  What better way to leave a good impression than to have a piece of
equipment dedicated to the free dispersal of pure water plastered with USA
flags.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Hbg., Pa.