Garden Paths & Irrigation

  • Subject: [cg] Garden Paths & Irrigation
  • From: "Connie Nelson" cnelson@shfoodbank.org
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:28:27 -0800

We are getting ready to do our first neighborhood garden.  We are partnering with a local business with rather significant pockets….

In addition they will be providing us with 2.38 acres of land for this purpose and their employees will plant, maintain and harvest the beds.  The land is located next to the business, so the employees can go out and work the garden on breaks, lunch etc.

We are America’s Second Harvest distribution center for eastern WA, northern ID and Montana.  Our role in this garden will be to facilitate its initial development, provide training in gardening and then be the recipient of the produce from all the beds.  We anticipate several thousand pounds.

I have two questions for the list serv.

1)       Given we may be doing several hundred beds, what are best practice options for irrigation?  (Keeping in mind this won’t have a regular staff person designated to run equipment, especially on weekends)

2)       What are the best practice options for garden paths, keeping in mind there may be opportunity for disabled staff (walkers, wheelchairs etc)

We definitely want to do this right the first time as they have let us know they will support us financially in additional gardens depending on the success of this one.  (Yeah, right, no pressure   ;>))

Connie Nelson, Program Manager

Second Harvest Food Bank of the INW

1234 E Front Ave

Spokane, WA   99202