How do you say 'chickpea' in Pennsylvania?

  • Subject: [cg] How do you say 'chickpea' in Pennsylvania?
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:53:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi, all,

Excellent response to the 'off topic' issue, Anna and
Dorene. At this electronic 'garden gate', I hope we
can have all the conversations that grace our real
world gardens. Plus, in our virtual garden, we all
have the option of scrolling past stuff we don't want
to read, or clicking delete. For me, problem solved.

Now, I think you will be able to grow garbanzos
(chickpeas) where you are, Dorene - Zone 6? Libby did
a very nice description, which I second. You don't
need to baby them. I grew them in San Luis Obispo, CA,
where it was easy as pie. They are a Mediterranean
summer crop, so they resist drought - my guess is they
would be happiest with excellent drainage (I wouldn't
overwater them once you've got them up) and won't be
fussy about soils that aren't too acidic. I suggest
waiting until a week or two after your last frost date
- early-mid May? - to plant, the same time as you set
out peppers and eggplant. Direct seed, and I suggest
soaking them 6 hrs or so before (like for peas or
sweet peas). Using a rhizobial bacteria powder
wouldn't hurt. I think Libby's idea of planting them
along paths is brilliant, also in dry poor beds beside
fences. I wouldn't expect super yields, but as Libby
says they are pretty in a quiet way. Full sun. If they
don't work, dig 'em in as green manure. They might
look nice around the base of okra as an 'edible
mulch'. They are good in hummus, and in salads - I'm
not sure how they'd work coated in Hershey's
chocolate.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try edame (edible soybean)
this year. My family now gobbles 'em by the fistfull,
and they supposedly work well here in Zone 7, better
than limas.

(Sorry about the snow, Libby. Down here, our Daphnes
opened up today, perfuming the whole yard, and the
daffodils are beginning to pop. A saucer magnolia is
just about to open.)

Good luck,

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC

 > > In that spirit, has anyone successful raised
> chickpeas outside of the
> > Southwest?  Seeds of Change just sent our
> community garden packets and
> > *packets* of the stuff and I haven't a clue what
> to do with them.
> >
> > Dorene Pasekoff
(reply)
> Yo Doreen,
>
> I grew them years ago. The variety that I grew was
more cold
> resistant than most. I got it from Johnny's, but
they stoped carrying
> it.
>
> Anyway, one needs to start them in warm soil (Have
you seen any soil
> yet? I haven't.): I think mid May to early July,
depending on what
> else you're growing. You could plant them after
lettuce or spinach.
> However, one only gets one or two beans per pod; so
you might just
> want to cook most of the ones you got. Great for
hummus.

> They are low-growing, have ferny leaves and pretty
white flowers. I
> grew mine as an edging to one of my large beds at
S/QV. I think I
> planted them about 1-2" apart and thinned them to
about 4", but I
> don't really remember, and you know how I crowd
stuff.

> Has your snow melted off yet? I've still got places
in the back yard

http://taxes.yahoo.com/