Community Gardens on Military Bases

  • Subject: [cg] Community Gardens on Military Bases
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:42:29 EST

***I too am interested in community gardens in the san diego area.
I am a horticulturist and military spouse at MCAS Miramar and am trying to
rally
support to start a community garden on the base.

Ms. Fairleigh, there are more than a few vets on this listserve who remember
having their spirits raised looking at a military spouses's  rose gardens
while marching back to barracks  with full pack.  As I recall it, there were
always a few military families, originally from rural areas that would use
any land they could get their hands on (and wasn't polluted with cordite) to
grow some vegetables.  PX prices may seem a bargain to civilians, but to
families on military enlisted personnel's salaries, it's often hard to make
ends meet.  If I recall correctly, in some areas, military families may be
even entitled to food stamps.  There has been gardening on military bases
since the beginning of the Republic.  The old line, "farmers make the best
soldiers" works the other way too.  A community garden is a great idea.

***I know after reading some of the commentary on this list that not all
recipients are sensitive to the needs of us military families. however those
political biases aside, i think that community gardening on military bases is
an idea whose time has come.

Yes Ma'am.  Many of us on this list, including me, deplore our government's
impending unilateral deployment of our nation's troops. However, there are
others on this community garden list who fully support the polices of
President Bush in regards to the current Middle East deployment.

Neither view should not be seen  as a lack of support for our nation's
military personnel or their families.

You are us.

I know in my garden, that folks on both sides of the issue have written   US
Senators and Congressman about  language in the administration's  Military
Families Bill that would reduce spending for the education of military
dependents.  Fortunately, when the details of the bill came to light in the
media, it was  withdrawn due to  "the current situation".

 You are us.

 It is quite likely that a number of young people who grew up in our gardens,
generally sited in low income neighborhoods,  are currently  in the military.
 A young man who grew up in  my garden in NYC is a Marine on active duty.  We
think about him alot these days:  It's still winter in NYC and he used to
work alongside us,  shovelling the sidewalk when he wasn't throwing
snowballs.  I got him with a slushball that he still remembered last summer
when he came back to the garden with his buddies during fleet week.   The
once skinny kid looked like a recruiting poster in his sea school trousers

On setting up your garden:  Please go to the website of the American
Community Gardening Association  <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>
American Community Gardening Association</A>
, where there's a wealth of community gardening information for you to read,
download and share.  While there are no San Diego gardens listed on our links
page, your local California agricultural agent or the San Diego Parks Dept
should be able to find some local gardens.

On the ACGA website: The language on our website does not promote anything
except the ACGA community gardening, food security and other related topics.
You can feel confident in sending this link to other military families and to
decision makers like the  base commander.

Please let us know how you are progressing with your community garden.
Honesly, I think everywhere we have a base with families, we should have a
community garden - I know it would be a postcard from home for our garden's
Marine.

Good luck.
Adam Honigman