Gardeners Growing Peace

  • Subject: [cg] Gardeners Growing Peace
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:23:42 -0500

While a certain part of the world is the focus of our national attention at this time, it is not the only place where frightened hearts and closed minds are waging violence.

In these turbulent times, I highly encourage you to keep as detached from the media as possible, and focus on the fact that you are one of many people in the world who, by gardening, believe in a beautiful, vital world that can be shared by all. Gather with your fellow gardeners and other friends, and make a conscious point of talking about what is good and beautiful in your lives and this world. You could hold a peace vigil in your garden, open to the whole neighborhood, "peace" being not just "anti-war" but peace for all people in all ways, including their personal lives.

Certain forces want us to be scared and believing we're helpless to make a difference, and the media perpetuates that. Defy this every day with some form of celebration or expression of gratitude. Hold a seed in your hand and realize the life force of the whole universe is contained in such a small thing, and that the two of you can work together to sustain that life force for all beings.

As Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in this world." Want peace? Be peaceful. Ask for help in doing this. Offer help in doing this. Let the garden help all of you. It's why it's there for you.

Sow compassion and patience, especially for the ones you call "enemy."

As Winston Churchill said to a class of graduates in the midst of war (paraphrasing) "I'm here to tell you the three time when you should give up; never, never and never."

While these times seem turbulent, it is the best time to stay focused on what's Good in life. Today is the first day of Spring, the day of new beginnings, the day of life returning from the cold of winter, the day of plants growing again. It's raining. Thankfully! The Earth and we need it.

Today is the first day of Spring. Celebrate as the beautiful garden that you are!

In humble service and boundless joy,