Lighting a Candle in the Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Lighting a Candle in the Garden
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:42:21 EST

This morning I got a call about a box left at the CCG garden gate. As we have
a post office box (which is posted on the gate) we get less of these, lately.
 As one of the  guys out of work, it fell to me to check it out. It was 7:45
when I got there. The night lock had been removed earlier by a volunteer who
lives on West 48th Street so keyholders could get in.

Now understand that it was raining, so I expected to get there, check out the
box, drink a little tea from my carry cup and go home. Considering the rain,
I was suprised to find about 20 folks walking around in the garden, carrying
their paper cups of take out coffee, looking at early crocuses.

The box turned out to be filled with  votive and other candles, dropped off
by someone, according to the attached note,  who," remembered that candles
had been "helpful" after 9/11."  I put a few on a stone bench and took the
rest to the shed. Despite the rain, somebody lit one of the candles when I
came back.  With the rain, it was sputtering when I prepared to leave, but
one of the folks relit it.

Comment of the morning:  " I needed to get this garden in my head before I
went down into the subway."

Can't make up this stuff.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman