RE: adapting crops to cultural cuisine

  • Subject: RE: [cg] adapting crops to cultural cuisine
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:01:10 -0500

Sharon wrote:

"If a recipe was using pineapple for a fruity, sour flavor, I
might try cherries in it."
Kyle wrote:

You might also consider ground cherries, which have a citrus-y/pineapple
flavor.  They're relatively easy to grow & would work in PA.
I can't urge people (especially in PA) to grow ground cherries enough. While they take a while to germinate and the transplants are tiny, they are *tough* plants that thrive once transplanted and provide an abundant crop through frost. If you keep the ground cherries in their husks and in an airy place (like a basket), they will keep for months. Hulled, they freeze beautifully. The seeds are easy to harvest by whirling the berries with some water in the blender and washing off the fruit slush.

The PA Dutch traditionally grew ground cherries at the edges of their crop fields -- the plants did great in "marginal" areas, produced abundantly and tasted great! They were a favorite crop of my (PA Dutch) grandfather and so I've eaten them all my life. I still make ground cherry pies throughout the summer.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of