Community Garden video project

  • Subject: [cg] Community Garden video project
  • From: maelliott@vassar.edu
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:04:07 -0500

Hi All--
I am a senior at Vassar College and am attempting to produce a video on
community gardens in Poughkeepsie NY as my final thesis project.  I have worked
fairly extensively with gardeners at each of the three gardens in the city of
Poughkeepsie as well as with one rooftop gardener.  I have conducted most of my
interviews and am now struggling to find a focus as the video has to be no more
than 15 minutes.  Two ideas come to mind: I could either tell the stories of
these gardeners in an attempt to generally build support for and awareness of
this fascinating, yet underappreciated activity in Poughkeepsie.  Or, I could
tell the conflict surrounding one garden slated to be paved by a neighborhood
home for the elderly in desperate need of more parking space.  My question,
then, to everyone is whether a need springs to mind -- that is, what could my
video explore that would be a useful contribution to the body of information on
community gardens?  Secondly, I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any
documentaries on community gardens (or, documentaries that might be useful as a
model).  Thanks!  Please reply directly to me at maelliott@vassar.edu

Matt Elliott