Re: Request for Urban Farming Info

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Request for Urban Farming Info
  • From: Pat_Elazar@CWB.CA
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:37:32 -0600

A really neat urban producer is Wally Satzewich from Saskatoon, in western Canada. Wally is a full-time market gardener on a land-base of two good sized suburban lots in Saskatoon. This is Wally's site: http://www.marketgardening.com/

Here is link to a detailed article about Wally on CityFarmer: http://www.cityfarmer.org/urbanmarket.html

If you've never been out here, the area between Thunder Bay Ontario & Calgary Alberta has no mountains or large bodies of water to mitigate extreme weather, so our weather may resemble Alaska, Arizona, or Alabama in consecutive weeks. Our temperatures CAN range from sub -40 in Jan/Feb to 100+ in July. Our growing season ranges between 50-150 frost-free days, but we CAN experience frost in any month of the year. So Wally's achievement is quite spectacular indeed.