RE: 35,000 Vacant Lots?

  • Subject: [cg] RE: 35,000 Vacant Lots?
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:41:15 -0500

Numbers are rounded, but yes, there is an official count that is near 35,000. There are also some 11,000 building yet to be torn down, thus the vacant lot number will only continue to increase.

It takes huge compassion and patience for me to accept this land isn't used to grow food, given the amount of poor and malnutrition going on in Philly. Then again, it's just a small mirror of our national attitudes towards food, farming, nature, etc. and our general lack of awareness about any of them.

So, I watch, and wait and do my best to cast seeds about. When we are truly hungry we will grow food.

Paco Verin
Citywide Project Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 N. 20th St.
Philadelphia, PA  19103
215-988-8885