|Berkeley Daily Planet |
These Saturday events may interest you if you're in Berkeley, CA area:
1) Mini-Gardeners: Seeds Learn the plant cycle and see where seeds come from, for ages 4-6 accompanied by an adult, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Tilden Nature Center. Cost is $3, $4 non-resident. Registration required. 525-2233.
2) Compost Give-Away as part of the National Nutrition month from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Berkeley Farmersâ Market, Center St. at MLK, Jr. Way. 548-3333. www.ecologycenter.org
3) Seed Saving Workshop Introduction to seed saving for the backyard, school, and community gardener. Weâll cover seed saving in detail, including botany and pollination, types of seeds, wet and dry seed processing methods, equipment, and seed storage. From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ecology Center, 2530 San Pablo Ave. Cost is $15 general, $10 EC members. 548-2220, ext. 233.
4) School Garden Conference Join teachers, school volunteers, and youth gardening enthusiasts for a one-day conference on starting or enhancing gardens in Bay Area Schools. Workshops will will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will begin at the Lawrence Hall of Science and move to the UC Botanical Garden. Cost is $10. 495-2801.
5) Help Build a Native Plant Nursery and Restore a Marsh Join the effort to restore West Stege Marsh, along the south Bayshore of Richmond, for the endangered Clapper Rail and other wildlife. We will be building potting tables, erecting a shade house, and of course tending our new little plants. From 9 a.m. Pre-registration preferred. 231-5783. firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Spring Care and Feeding of Roses with Deb McKay at 10 a.m. at Magic Gardens Nursery, 729 Heinz Ave. 644-2351.