Re: Community garden networks

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Community garden networks
  • From: "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@iserv.net>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:51:00 -0500

Title: Re: [cg] Community garden networks
I responded in greater detail to Davis, but the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council has started a community gardens network. When we applied for the USDA community food project grant last year (which we didn't get) a Master Gardener who was very interested in cg's made a lot of calls and got contact information for us. We used these to set up a phone and e-mail list. We have had a lot of community gardeners come to these meetings, but not too much success in getting them there at once. The one time we did, they were very excited to talk about the same kind of issues discussed on this listserve. (By the way, I always advise that people join ACGA.)

We have gotten underway in mapping the community gardens sites in Grand Rapids and potential vacant lots that could be used -- and in fact someone has committed to entering them into the countywide Geographic Information System as a layer when we get done. We also have developed a survey to determine and encourage interest. One of our partners is starting a schoolyard gardens non-profit and we'll be working with her too.

Some of these activities will be under consideration as we go into a big strategic planning phase for the whole Food Systems Council. I would like to see a technical-resource group for the network, as well as a "summit" of some kind for gardeners to exchange information. But I don't know if these ideas will prevail as we focus the whole organization. I do imagine the network will continue though because there's so much interest in it.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council