RE: Garden plot size

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Garden plot size
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:47:07 -0500

Wow!  That's one of the truly imponderable questions in community gardening.
We have 15 garden sites in Hartford, CT.  At several, where we have raised
beds built up with landscape timbers, the plot size is 4 feet by 8 feet.
At another, which caters to hobby gardeners, the plots are 15 by 20, but
some people use half plots.
At another, the only garden with real native soil, the plots are 25 by 25
and some people use 6 plots and would use more if it were allowed.  It's
where the farmers go.
I've heard of relatively rural programs where plots are much larger.   And
then there is the Clinton Community Garden where a plot is just about big
enough for a respectable bush zucchini.
It may seem like a lot of extra work, but perhaps you should get prospective
gardeners together to discuss this and ask them to come up with a
recommendation.  One woman's postage stamp is another man's acreage.
Good luck.

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation