Re: New community garden for hobbyists

  • Subject: Re: [cg] New community garden for hobbyists
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:32:01 EST

Friend,

5 x 8  is about the smallest you want to go with, trust me.  4 x 10 is doable, but you want wider to help folks garden as intensively as they can in a raised bed. Most here like a 10 x 10.  Here's the link to our set-up in NYC where we've put an awful lot into a third of an acre space.  Clinton Community Garden . If you have more land than we do in the middle of Manhattan, please consider a 5' x10' or a 10' x 10' plot size - and make sure that you put in plenty of space for paths ( at least two people walking across, with easy access to a hose for all plots,  if you're planning to have piped in water) - best is a wheelbarrow going one way and another going the other on your path.

Please go the ACGA website,  American Community Gardening Association , the how to start ACGA how to start a garden links: ACGA Starting a garden and please go the garden links page, because there is a wealth of information on governance, lay out and everyday best community garden practice in cgs in Canada, the USA and beyond,
ACGA Garden Links.

Most imporant, please consider you and/or your garden joining the ACGA which provides this free listserv, the website and connects you to thousands of community gardeners, world wide - it's $25 bucks, the price of a pizza and a sixpack. ACGA membership

Everbest,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] New community garden for hobbyists