stats on garden as the #1 pastime in U.S.?

  • Subject: [cg] stats on garden as the #1 pastime in U.S.?
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds <aedmonds@umich.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:53:10 -0500

Colleagues,

I'm searching for an actual citation/study/etc that says that gardening is the #1 pastime in the United States. This seems to be a well-known and oft-referred to statistic, but I'm having trouble finding out who did/does the study or survey that shows this. I've checked the NGA website and searched the internet in general, but to no avail.

Can anyone with a lead please pass it on to me?

Thanks!
Amanda

Amanda Maria Edmonds
Executive Director, Growing Hope

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
-Mahatma Ghandi